Wednesday, January 5, 2011

First Dates.

First dates can be awkward.

Especially blind dates.

Sometimes there are unrealistic expectations.
Sometimes there are odd silences.
Sometimes right off the bat you know this is going no where.
Sometimes right off the bat you know this is going some where.
Sometimes you can't find the right words to say.
Sometimes you say too much.
Sometimes your belly hurts and you don't know if its butterflies, anxiety, or bad sushi.
Sometimes you feel as though you are only physically attracted to the person.
Sometimes you feel like you only really find their personality attractive.
Sometimes you have one too many drinks.
Sometimes THEY have one too many drinks.
Sometimes you both are shy.
Sometimes you have NOTHING in common.
Sometimes you have everything in common.

Talk about pressure.
Why is it that when an evening is labeled a first date, it immediately becomes some ordeal?
You and another human being are going out into a public place to meet and get to know one another. Why is it easier to make a friend washing your hands in the bathroom by simply handing them a paper towel? Why is it LESS awkward to talk to your gynecologist about your skiing trip this winter while getting a damn pap smear than it is to ask a man what his favorite food is?

Why do you get emotionally off kilter in the presence of someone new because you think you might say the wrong thing, or look the wrong way? This is why new relationships right off the bat after only one or two dates normally end in turmoil. Because you are so busy trying to impress someone, that the real YOU doesn't even come through for a while for your new partner to see.

How can a new interest in your life, truly appreciate you if you aren't completely open with them. I am not saying have your first date at starbucks and bring your laptop and say here, look over my facebook for a little bit and explore my entire life via internet while I go grab my photo albums and scrap books from all of my previous relationships and then you can show me yours and tell me when every single thing in your life that made you sad, mad, or happy happened...and then, I want you to point out every flaw I have, and every good asset, and then I am going to do the same, that way after 3 hours I know every single thing about you! :) no. no. no. no. I am not saying lay out your entire life timeline on the bar table and leave no room for finding new qualities in you...I am simply saying, don't be someone else because you feel as though this first date needs to go somewhere. Not every first date will end in marriage. Not every first date will have a second date. Not every first date will end with a hug or a kiss or an "I'll call you"...

Can you imagine how much easier "dating" would be if we didn't refer to it as dating.

Life would be easier if we all just went out with people we found interesting and just let loose and had a good time with intelligent conversation. When you go out assuming this WILL go somewhere, you tend to put all your eggs in one basket and add unnecessary pressure on the night.

Go out with people you KNOW there will be potential connection with, not the first person who shows interest in you even if you believe in your heart you are not going to fall for them. Unless you make it known you are going out as friends lifting the DATE aspect off the night. Because then, who is to say once that pressure is gone and you go out as friends that you wont fall for the real them now...Ya dig!?

I always say I hate dating.
That it is awkward and weird.
So I am going to start non-date dating.
If you have no expectations, you have no let downs.
All you have is two people, out together, enjoying each other's company.
If something happens, that means it happened purely because of compatibility.

On that note. I have a non-date to get ready for this evening. ;) haha

No comments:

Post a Comment